Hello again! Being a newbie to blogging, I have some catching up to do. So today I thought I’d share my most recent remodel ( a year and half ago involving 2 bathrooms) which came about a bit unexpectedly. Even when you plan the details and set aside a budget, remodeling any room in the house can be overwhelming, stressful and expensive. So we were caught unprepared and disheartened when our master bath pipes froze during a frigid winter and days later our hall bath tub backed up, resulting in leaks through our previously remodeled kitchen ceiling!
The master bath had been an add-on, done by the previous owners who cut corners, running the pipes along an exterior wall. My husband removed layers of wet plaster, drywall and cleaned up the muck and dust that traveled everywhere. When the tub backed up and leaked into another section of the kitchen ceiling two days later, my husband was not happy to be at it again! Not wanting to take any chances of repeating this mess, we called the plumber and decided to have the pipes re-routed into an interior wall (even though it was not covered by insurance.)
When we first moved into the house, we knew we’d have to tackle to the hall bath at some point. It had been done on the cheap (reoccurring theme) when the house had been flipped several years before we moved in. We gave it a good scrubbing, new paint and I sewed and hung a valance and shower curtain. Then I got very creative with storage. (Note the table hung upside down, used as a shelf and towel rod). We figured someday we’d give the space a proper remodel.
Not too long before the stream of leaks came into the kitchen, I dreamily mapped out numerous floor plans, looking for ways to re-configure this bathroom. Options were limited, as space and storage were really tight. With a clogged tub the “someday” had arrived. Now that both bathroom’s pipes were exposed in the open kitchen ceiling, I convinced my husband that we needed to turn “lemons into lemonade” by tackling both bathrooms. By breaking through their common wall, we could steal two feet from the master for extra space for the hall bath. (See below where a 2 foot bump out is being created the width of the existing vanity.) The new wall pushed the vanity forward, leaving the shower to its left and an existing pass-through linen closet to the right.
Months passes as we tried to keep up with which bathroom had a working toilet or running water. But we plowed along, first, painting the existing vanity, previously a bureau. We left the pretty cream marble, sink and faucet. The old lighting (as seen through the 2×4’s) along with the corner shower stall and faucet were sold on Craig’s List.
I scored brass sconces on a local yard sale site for free! Around the same time, my parents were selling their home, so I grabbed their old iron dining room chandelier. All of the lighting received a chalk paint job, (yes, you cant paint over metal) giving them a new look. The new bump out allowed us to create a squared off shower where the corner, glass enclosed stall had been. New creamy subway tile and mosaic floor tile was from a local tile company’s surplus. Most of it was $1.00 per foot!
While my husband and I were looking at the framing of the newly extended shower wall, we wished we could add more natural light in the shower. I remembered a transom window I had trash picked. So I pulled it out and held it in place… Perfect! Just what we were looking for!
We saved the existing claw foot tub, added a thrift shop glass-front cabinet for extra storage and installed window shutters, salvaged from a 1912 Friend’s Meeting Hall. I picked up the mirror at an antique store nearby for $40, I sewed valances and a shower curtain in a patchwork of leftover fabrics. At an estate sale, I found an old “roof ladder”, full of tar for $10. My husband removed all the tar, sanded it and re-stained it. After cutting it in half, we hung it to serve as a towel rack.
Finally, with essentials in place, it was time to paint! Since my husband is always complaining about the stacks of paint cans in the basement, I mixed up some leftovers to create a muted peachy-pink color for the walls and used leftover trim for the doors and woodwork.
Take a look at how our master bathroom turned out!
Stayed tuned for the unveiling of the remodeled hall bath….